John 15:7 says this:
If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
I absolutely LOVE how Mark goes through this scripture and gives us five separate reflections on the meaning of the word abide.
Today’s reading opened my eyes that I have been, more often than not, simply reading the Bible as a casual reading. I’m reminded that the Bible isn’t meant to be read. It is meant to be memorized, hidden in my heart. I need to abide.
And did you happen to catch my favorite word in there today?
Just like Jesus, who prayed well into the night on the eve of His crucifixion, sometimes we need to press into the presence of God a little longer. And if we linger in His presence, God’s presence will linger on us. (pg 167 Draw the Circle)
I’m going to get my highlighter and start studying the Word, writing the Word, memorizing the Word. I want to be taken over with the Word so that it spills over into every part of who I am.
I want to be like David:
When the Word of God gets in our spirit, which is the spiritual womb, new passions are conceived within us. And inaction is no longer an option. We cannot abide in the Word of God and not be moved to action. We cannot sit on the sidelines. Like David, who ran to the front lines, we’ll be looking for giants to conquer. (pg 168 Draw the Circle)
What passion is God stirring in your spiritual womb? What giants are you ready to conquer? Maybe it is a career change. Maybe it’s teaching a class at your church. Maybe it’s being a light and encouragement in your current workplace. Maybe it’s mentoring another person that God has brought into your life.
Maybe you’re sitting here saying: “I don’t know!!”
And that my friend, is OK.
I’m with you. My life sometimes feels like a spinning wheel and I don’t know which direction to turn. There are days and weeks where I get into a “funk” of sorts and can’t figure out what’s next.
I’m choosing to abide in Him, and I trust that He will keep His Word and surely abide in me.
A few random updates:
- We are on the home stretch, friends…10 days and we finish our 40 Day Prayer Challenge!
- I’m planning another study for those that want to continue. We are looking at doing something very similar with small daily readings (5 pages or less) and a daily blog update to share our experiences (although I can PROMISE that you will not be getting 6am text messages!!). The next study will be very easy to catch up on if you miss a day and is more like a go at your own pace type of study. Not as much pressure as our current study….ahhh, sigh…. 🙂
- The book for our next study is called Interrupted: When Jesus Wrecks Your Comfortable Christianity. I will be taking orders to purchase or you can get it on your own.
- Our current study on Draw the Circle is going to end on Thursday, Oct 2.
- We will take a break for a week or two before we begin the next study.
- The daily blog will continue in between the 2 studies – with reflections and reminders from our Draw the Circle book. This will be optional and I will have a sign up at the end of our 40 days.
- If you have something you would like to share with the group, be thinking of it now – I would love to have several of you share on our daily blog.
- Wanting to go a little deeper in your Bible studies? Proverbs 31 Ministries is known for their HUGE Online Bible Studies and they just happen to be starting their next study TODAY: Monday, Sept 22. If you would like more info or to sign up, go here. I highly recommend this book – The Best Yes by Lysa TerKeurst. I know several of you already have the book – if not, you can get it at Target or Walmart. Their studies have an email you get everyday and a weekly video update. It is a go at your own pace type of study and you can catch up whenever you are able to. Their studies are just like ours – blogs with places to comment and get engaged. You get out of it what you put into it! Their study runs from Sept 22 – Oct 31.
- Tara, Carolyn and I are all signed up to participate in The Best Yes study. And if you’re fasting from Social Media or Facebook, maybe you’ll need something to fill your extra time!! Haha. Yes – some of us are crazy enough to be reading and studying 2 books at one time, imagine that!
- Comment below with any other questions you may have.